Dr. Mehmet Bedii Kaya (LLB, LLM, PHD)
Associate Professor of IT Law
Istanbul Bilgi University IT Law Institute
Mehmet Bedii Kaya is associate professor of IT Law at Istanbul Bilgi University Faculty Law. He holds LLB from Istanbul Bilgi University Faculty of Law, LLM in Internet Law from Istanbul Bilgi University and PhD in Law from the University of Nottingham (UK) School of Law.
Mehmet Bedii Kaya’s research and practice focuses primarily on cybersecurity, data protection, e-commerce, data governance, digital forensics, technology and communications. He handles the full spectrum of information technology law work from compliance to litigation, strategic advice to business setup. He also acts as counsel and arbitrator (ICC and ad hoc) in complex commercial technology disputes.
Mehmet Kaya extensively works and advises on cutting-edge mainstream technology projects involving data compliance, fintech, cloud-computing, blockchain, IT outsourcing, electronic commerce, encryption technologies, software licensing, escrow agreements, telecom licensing, and disputes stemming from public procurement of IT projects. He has extensive experience in providing consultancy on these matters to both public and private sectors.
Mehmet Bedii Kaya has a solid technical and legal understanding of cybersecurity and has an extensive experience advising on regulatory and transactional cyber security matters. He provides services in all major cybersecurity governance issues such as review of information security policies, handling cybersecurity insurance claims, supervising post cyber incident events, managing data breach notifications, conducting cyber risk assessments, reviewing incident response planning, tackling breach mitigation, coordinating with applicable law enforcement, and reviewing digital forensics procedures.
Mehmet Bedii Kaya is currently the director of Istanbul Bilgi University IT Law Institute which is also a member of Network of Interdisciplinary Internet & Society Research Centers (Network of Centers). Throughout his career, he has authored numerous publications on topics related to information technology law, such as books titled Internet Law, Electronic Commerce Law, P2B Regulation, Turkish Data Protection Law.
Areas of Supervision
- Internet Law
- Cybersecurity Law
- Digital Forensics
- Mass and Targeted Surveillance
- Electronic Communication Law
- Data Protection and Privacy Law
- Legal and Ethical Aspects of AI, Algorithms, Machine Learning, Automation
- Regulation of Criticial Infrastructures
- Internet Law
- Cybersecurity Law
- Data Protection Law
- Electronic Commerce Law
- Mehmet Bedii Kaya “Self-Disclosure or Burying the Evidence Dilemma: A Legal Review of the Data Breach Rules under the Turkish Personal Data Protection Law” 70 Annales de la Faculté de Droit d’Istanbul 1, doi.org: 10.26650/annales.2021.70.1305.
- Mehmet Bedii Kaya “The regulation of Internet intermediaries under Turkish law: Is there a delicate balance between rights and obligations?” (2016) 32 Computer Law & Security Review: The International Journal of Technology Law and Practice 759, doi: 10.1016/j.clsr.2016.05.005.
- Leyla Keser & Mehmet Bedii Kaya “NoC Internet Governance Case Studies Series: Turkish Internet Improvement Board” (2014) The Global Network of Internet and Society Research Centers (NoC).
- Mehmet Bedii Kaya “The Legitimacy of Preferential Procurement and International Competition under the Turkish Public Procurement Law” (2012) 5 Law and Justice Review 121.